Friday, August 20, 2010

Tire Stack Dummy

I've always wanted to build a Kali/Escrima/Arnis "Tire Stacks Dummy" a year after I posted a research page about Arnis De Mano in Myspace. I still need to learn a lot about the art. It's considered to be the number two in the martial art tactical fighting method of the world few years back. I don't know about today. Whatever it is, this tire stack dummy works pretty well for any melee conditioning. Also works for baton training for cops, or security officers. Just like any punching bags, this is for using stick weapons from baton to rattan, wooden sword, wooden knife, as well as baseball bats. My total budget building this project is around fifty bucks. I got the tires for free.

1TIRES_01
I started out with these four tires, but anded up using six tires instead.

1TIRES_02
Eight brackets and two different kinds of screws from OSH. I also used other types of screws and brackets other than ones from the image.

1TIRES_03
Seven of two by four's wood (six was used). Under three bucks each. Not really tough woods but durable enough to hold some tires, and for some heavy stick pounding. Better to make few mistakes the first time on cheaper woods than some expensive harder and heavier woods. I'll even use logs like the ones for wing-chun dummy.

1TIRES_04
Made some measurements, and about to cut some woods with an old school saw.

1TIRES_05
These two pares are done.

1TIRES_06
It was taking me a bit longer to piece the pares together because the old man started singing karaoke songs that got me a little discourage. It was lame trying to stand the pares of woods together to piece. It was also Friday the 13'th of August, and I am not even superstitious.

1TIRES_07
Then mother also grabbed the microphone.

1TIRES_08
Got the stand done. And it's standing. Only six of the seven two by four's woods was used.

1TIRES_09
Went back to OSH and bought some brace.

1TIRES_10
Added few at the bottom also. These should make it a bit more sturdier.

1TIRES_11
The tires are all in place.

1TIRES_12
Added two straps for these tires as legs. One strap on top and one at the bottom.

1TIRES_13
They hooked up like this.

1TIRES_14
I also found this type of brackets from the house, and used it to brace areas like this here.

1TIRES_15
How it looks with a rattan stick and a regular long stick.

1TIRES_16
Now I gotta strap this rattan up. This rattan here is pretty light but really strong piece of stick. Which make it faster to use when it comes to swinging, and strong enough to break bones from one to multiple opponents. Just depends how you control the stick in your hands accurately. How fast and how strong without even thinking about it.

1TIRES_17
I bought me a baseball padded hand grip, and few baseball tapes from Big 5. I thought it was also gonna decrease the noise when pounding the tires, but nope. Only good for getting a better hand grip of the rattan and to keep it from breaking. It all depends what type of stick you got, maybe you might not even need to tape them up. The rattan I have is strong as it is. There are stronger ones like Kamagong Stick, Bahi Stick, and Hickory Stick, and then the typical Rattan Stick (fire harden or not), even Polypropylene Stick all mainly used for Kali, Escrima, and Arnis practitioners. Metal pipes and baseball bats are also swinging weapons with lethal blows, but you don't save the same energy when it comes to rapid movements from different angles, as the other ones I listed.

1TIRES_18
All strapped up, and all ready for pounding them tires.

1TIRES_19
I still have to scrub the tires clean, and paint the woods with some enti-rain seal to it. Other than that, it's pretty much done. My first Tire Stack Dummy.

Friday the 13th man, I tried to deny it. In the next day, after building this project, my legs started to cramp. So never again to built one like it by sitting down on the lawn for hours. I took few pain relief medicines but that didn't work much. Several days after, the pain was still there, and then I used this chinese medicine that old people usually uses from the Philippines. And it's called Eagle Brand - Green Medicated Oil, it's green, and the pain just went away in minutes. I've had it mostly for stomach pain. This green with heavy medicated smell medicine brings back memory of an old neighbor back in PI, an elderly man used to robbed them around his knees in the late evening, while few kids gathered around his house watching kung-fu flicks.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your site. Will keep checking back here..

    Tires For Sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. I downloaded all the photos and created one report for tires. Thanks for the share. Keep posting. I follow you.
    usedcarsforsale

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is an old post, but do you happen to remember the length of the two by fours that you used when you bought them?

    ReplyDelete