Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Beat Making - Akai MPC

or Instrumentals. I am more of a Electronica lab based musician slash hobbyist. To be honest, it's easier for me to make beats that are synthesized than sounding more like real drums. Where some typical Hip-Hop beats uses. Drum beats like acoustic snares, kicks, hi-hats or tambourines. Sometimes TR-808 kick and clap (rather than snare) are also common for hip-hop, specially from the west-coast. East-coast has more of that old school jazz drum beats which I also like. Here are few beat makers showing basic drum beats using the MPC in YouTube. Something I do as well, just not as often.

Here is Boon Doc. One thing about Boon Doc is that he can get really animated. All head bopping and what not, attitude at the end. But this dude is a genus when it comes to sampling old school records mostly from the 70's or late 60's. Last time I heard of him in YouTube is that he transitioned towards the real thing like actual real instruments than just doing sampling from an MPC 1000 quantizing, sequencing, and all that. Even switch his well known signature using the MPC 1000 religiously with followers, to using USB type midi controlled MPC which is the MPD32.


Here is Kay Kay, I wanna buy few of her drum kits. Just because I want to buy some of her kits. I think she makes MPC 1000 pretty for us beat makers. Actually she's got some skills, and she'll devour any exaggerated egos out there that most beat makers can't take control of sometimes. Anyways, here she is doing her thing.


This is DJ Hellfire. Just recently find out about this dude, same as Kay Kay. This dude showed a bit of that basic step of making drum beats, but I'm more impressed about the way he sampled Led Zepplin's guitar sounds. It doesn't sound like a long track but just the idea that he sampled something different is what I find cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment