Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Vinyl Records

I shouldn't be doing this yet till I start saving something up but I needed few samples for this current tracks. So I went and bought few old vinyl records at streetlight records yesterday. First I was disappointed to find that the Indian or Middle Eastern LPs were all sold out. I guess some other beatmakers or producers are cooking up the same recipes I am cooking. Fortunately, right next to that section were Bluegrass, and I happened to be looking for some old school bluegrass music also. Banjos man. I wanted to sample banjo sounds. I got two used LPs on Banjos: American Banjo which is nothing but all banjos and the other is called The Million Dollar Fiddle with Chubby Wise, a classic record from the Southern like Florida and Mississippi. And it's the whole enchilada of classic bluegrass. It sorta gives you an idea how banjo works with other instruments as a typical southern bluegrass band. And then find out how to mimic that through electronic music. There was no more Indian or Middle Eastern on the World section but I did find one in the Vocal section. I don't know much about Indian/Pakistan Musicians except for Ravi Shankar and Nusrat Fatteh Ali Khan but I am somewhat familiar with Hindu names, so I found one. Her name is Asha Putli, and no it isn't a traditional Hindu Vocalist like Morning Raga or sometype, I was actually amazed that she was in fact a soul vocalist back in the 70's. I can still sample at least two of her songs.



I was gonna buy more, since the used ones are good bargains. Next time, I may have to trade some of my old VHS movies and few CDs in exchange for some LPs. They were playing some dope ass jazz beats that day at the record store. Damn, I forgot to asked whose jazz band that was.

No comments:

Post a Comment