Saturday, January 3, 2009

FOB

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

So this is my FOB pic (Fresh Off the Boat). Actually this pic was taken in 1988 back in the 8th grade. 1986 was the year I was reborn. My family first lived at my aunt's house for about a year and a half - and it was a damn cool neighborhood too, descent middle school, meeting and getting to know different races in my ESL class, black kids beat-boxing in PE class, and white kids listening to Beastie Boys and RUN DMC from their mini-boombox around the campus. My little brother and I even made friends to a cool neighbor we constantly visit to play Atari and watch WWF all day in the weekends. Back then I thought all hoods was like that until we finally had our own home and moved to the eastside. LoL! daaamn man lots of things change after that. Yes I was kicked and pushed around by the mexicans and also been chased by the blacks around the school yards along with my fellow FOB friends back then. From Beastie Boys to Suicidal Tendencies just to give a taste of that transition. And I consider that change like a brutal taste of a Wasabi Sandwich. Thanks to some unusual miracles I never did affiliated to any gangs to gain some respect. Hard to get respect if your the type of dude growing up fearing the higher power first before anything. But that was the 80's, today almost everybody is now a FOB. Some FOBs are even cooler than most locals these days. I don't know much about the Midwest or the Southern Area of the US but if it's around the Bay Area of California that is, then most FOBs are the majority. Even our Governor is the Terminator straight out fresh from Austria after pumping few irons to show America the wonders of performance-enhancing anabolic steroids, and being himself to act and speak like a robot in major films.

About being in the eastside, one time I was driving around the hood and I thought I recognized this one dude that I remember kicking me off my chair during English class just because I refused to switch chair with him. All them memories came rushing in to me like an 8th grade again so I drove back just to look again - I know it was stupid but I had all these funny ideas in my head - the dude probably won't even recognized me. He had the same face, the only difference was that he looked obesely overweight and handicapped (limping in one leg), he was pushing an empty grocery cart on a suburban sidewalk arguing to a lady, probably his wife or a girlfriend. It sucks when you finally want to go toe to toe to a previous bully but then the realizations of that moment took me back to the real time of that day - a mixed feelings of anger and sympathy carried me back on to my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment