Friday, January 9, 2009

Why the Influences

Why some of my music sounds more like the Orient when geographically I grew up in the US and from the Philippines. Not because I am trying to stereotype certain sounds. Most of my sounds comes out naturally using my instruments. The town called Paoay (formally called Bombay) that I grew up on in the Philippines used to channel these Cantonese and Mandarin stations from our television, and they used to have these Chinese operas. Although it was a black and white television and a bit staticky, it didn't really matter. They sounded pure and soulful to me, and gave me the natural ideas to my music today. Ilocos area are known to have lots of Chinese descendants coming from Fujian and Taiwan. Historians says even the Japanese settled there way before WW2. Eventually, most of them lost their identities due to Spanish rules back in the Spanish Colonialism. All these different groups also got together and built St. Augustine Church designed as a fortress to defend the town against incoming pirates. Today there are still some Chinese business owners that sells tires and medicines back in Paoay and South Indians that sells stereos, boombox, radios, and televisions from further down the north east of my town. Almost like the area I live on today - Chinese folks that lived in Vietnam, Indian folks from Punjabi, along side with the Latinos, and Filipinos.

I am done with my first Album. As a hobbyist and independent also means relying on my own finance to support it. Still have more to learn about the production side and I may have to take classes for that later. One thing for sure, passing this one test to get a license will finance that. Not just for me but to put some extra something something on the family table along with some bonuses.

If wondering where to get your tracks out for sale, here are few of them that are cool. Places like: Tunecore and CD Baby. Where they also sell them for you electronically like in iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment